Opportunities for Governments
Energize your community FORWARD!
How can the local government get involved in the Inflation Reduction Act?
The IRA provides a number of opportunities for local governments to get involved in climate action and accelerate clean energy in their communities. These opportunities include:
- Applying for funding that is directly available to local governments
- Support and partner with frontline communities and community-based organizations to center their priorities and secure resources
- Streamline permitting processes and train staff to remove obstacles to the installation of renewable energy systems, vehicle charging infrastructure, and highly efficient equipment.
- Working with state and federal agencies to develop and implement climate action plans
- Advocating for policies that support clean energy and climate action
Local governments can play a key role in the clean energy transition. By getting involved in the Inflation Reduction Act and other climate action initiatives, local governments can help to create a cleaner, healthier future for their communities.
Inflation Reduction Act Opportunities for Governments
The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) of 2022 provides a variety of funding opportunities for local governments. These opportunities include:
- Grants for clean energy projects: The IRA provides $369 billion in funding for clean energy projects, including solar, wind, and energy efficiency. Local governments can apply for grants to help fund these projects.
- Tax credits for clean energy investments: The IRA also provides tax credits for clean energy investments. These tax credits can help businesses and homeowners make investments in clean energy, such as solar panels or energy-efficient appliances.
- Funding for infrastructure projects: The IRA provides $1.2 trillion in funding for infrastructure projects, including roads, bridges, and water systems. Local governments can apply for this funding to help improve their infrastructure.
- Funding for workforce development: The IRA provides $100 billion in funding for workforce development programs. These programs can help train workers for jobs in the clean energy and infrastructure sectors.
- Funding for environmental remediation: The IRA provides $10 billion in funding for environmental remediation projects. These projects can help clean up pollution and improve air and water quality.
Latest news and opportunities
What is the Justice40 Initiative?
The Justice40 Initiative is a White House initiative that aims to ensure that 40% of the overall benefits of federal investments in climate and clean energy flow to disadvantaged communities. These communities are often disproportionately impacted by pollution and climate change, and they have historically been underserved by environmental programs.
The Justice40 Initiative is a historic commitment to environmental justice, and it is expected to have a major impact on the lives of millions of people. By ensuring that disadvantaged communities benefit from federal investments in climate and clean energy, the Justice40 Initiative can help to create a cleaner, healthier future for all Americans.
The Justice40 Initiative is a whole-of-government approach, and it is being implemented by a number of federal agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Energy, and the Department of Transportation. These agencies are working to identify and prioritize projects that can benefit disadvantaged communities, and they are also working to ensure that these communities have a voice in the decision-making process.
The Justice40 Initiative is still in its early stages, but it has already made a significant impact. In the first year of the initiative, federal agencies awarded $10 billion in grants and contracts to disadvantaged communities. This funding is being used to support a wide range of projects, including clean energy development, environmental remediation, and workforce training.
The Justice40 Initiative is a major step forward in the fight for environmental justice. By ensuring that disadvantaged communities benefit from federal investments in climate and clean energy, the Justice40 Initiative can help to create a cleaner, healthier future for all Americans.
Here are some of the benefits of the Justice40 Initiative:
- Reduce pollution and improve air quality in disadvantaged communities
- Create jobs and economic opportunities in disadvantaged communities
- Build a more sustainable future for all Americans
- Address the legacy of environmental injustice that has been disproportionately felt by disadvantaged communities
Energize your community FORWARD!
FORWARD is your program administration thought partner. Over 80% of our team has public sector experience and can help –
Pursue new opportunities
Increase capacity for program administrators
Drive equity and access
Increase collaboration between local government and community-based organizations
Speak to an expert about the Inflation Reduction Act and strategize on how you can use it to benefit your community.
Supercharge your inbox
Get the latest information about the Inflation Reduction Act and how you can energize your community when you subscribe to our Climate Action Alerts.